Tuesday, March 28, 2006

MUSHROOMS in the DESERT


This post first ran in September of 2005!

Dear Reader: I apologize for not having a new post today. I was busy in my other life yesterDay as the Editor of a monthly newsletter and simply ran out of time. In the meantime, I truly hope you enjoy this "Oldie but Goodie".... Thanks... Longstreet


Mushrooms in the Desert


The world’s media is reporting that the US Pentagon has plans for using nuclear weapons, peremptorily, as a deterrent to the use of WMD’s against the US, or US interests around the world. Reports say the US Military has been told to prepare to use nuclear weapons, in their Theatre of Operations, effectively.

This new approach by the Pentagon is titled “Doctrine for Joint Nuclear Operations” and is said to be an attempt by the US Military to adapt to today’s threats not only from unfriendly States, but from “non state entities” as well.

Commanders of US forces, around the world, are directed to make plans and prepare for using nuclear weapons in their geographic areas. The directive would allow US forces to use nuclear weapons even when there is no threat of WMD’s.

News sources are reporting that Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, has not signed the directive. Presidential approval for the nuclear strike would be required before the nuclear weapons are actually used.

Our reaction? It’s about time!

There is no real purpose served by having our men, and women, slaughtered on battlefields anymore. Tactical nukes can get the job done with little, if any loss of personnel on our part.

We could stop that search in the mountains of “Tora-Bora” and just nuke the place. That’s much more effective… not to mention quick, as well.

I have been expecting this action for some time now. This is one of the unintended consequences of the “anti-war movement”. They raise Cain and make life miserable for the politicians of the country and, assisted by the MSM, around the world, they work together to stir up the public’s anger if a war lasts more than three weeks. If we have a handful of American soldiers killed, or wounded, they use that as fuel for the fire they keep burning under the feet of the President and Congress. So, the politicians have to do something to ensure that all future wars are short and as near to ”injury free” as is possible.

Enter nuclear weapons!

This just points up the dangers of the non-military types continually applying pressure on the Pentagon. Eventually, the Pentagon will answer. Chances are nearly 100% against the anti-war crowd’s approval of the Pentagon’s answer.

So, the Pentagon has issued this new directive. A directive I happen to like, actually.

Now, if we can only get our military disengaged from the program of “Nation Building”, I’d be even happier!

We, here at Insight, urge the Sec. Def. to sign this directive, post haste.


“Longstreet”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our soldiers are already suffering radiation poisoning from using depleated uranium in Iraq, not to mention the innocent. not all people in an enemy state are enemy combatants. For being a Christian and a man of faith and someone old enough to be a grandfather I am shocked sometimes old friend that you seem none the wiser. When these issues come up I look at my family, at my children and think if that were us, what could the ramifications on the ones I love be? Then I think about being the one to cause that to happen to someone else or their loved ones. Call me a bleading heart or whatever you like... but know this my master, teacher, and mentor taught me, "What so ever you do to the least of them you do to me." "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and "hate the sin love the sinner" transcends oceans, continents and battlefields.

Longstreet said...

I respect that, Frank. You're a better Christian than I. As soon as I run out of cheeks, I hit back.

Rememeber Joshua, and the walls of Jericho, and the command the Lord gave Joshua concerning the people of that city? Kill them, men, women, and children and slaughter all the cattle, sheep, goats, etc.

As a child,I thought that was brutal, 'til I came to understand that Joshua, and the Hebrews, were moving on and it would not do to have an enemy city at their rear.

I don't lose any sleep over the so-called colateral damage by our troops in battle. Maybe it's a character flaw. That's for others to decide.

My first obligation is to MY family and MY country. When another country, or another people, bring war, death, and destruction to my shores, and kill my people, yes, I will do everything in my power to eradicate that threat and if that means wiping the earth clean of a particular people, then so be it.

Granted, it's not a pretty picture, but every society must have people who think and act, as I do, in order to survive.

I know this is not easy to hear, but America is a Warrior Nation. We were born as a result of a grinding war with the world's superpower(of that day), Great Britain. Ever since, we have been targeted by dictators and such because we have proved that it CAN BE DONE! That a people can rise up and throw off the shackles of despotism and set up a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Instantly we became a threat to every dictator on the face of the globe. And, to this day, they come after us, hoping to bring us down to insure their hold on those they have enslaved.

Frank, the instant we let our guard down, they have us. We must be ever willing to go to the mat with them in an all, or nothing, struggle, for that is what it is.

That's the way I see it. As Martin Luther said: "Here I stand! I can do no other! May God Help me! Amen!"

Longstreet

Anonymous said...

I think you mis understood I do not oppose all wars, and if my family were attacked I would defend them.... I am only saying that what you propose is like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly, or a chainsaw instead of a scapul. The bible passage you quoted was Old Testament and was part of the old covenant with God as Christians we follow a new covenant, one of forgiveness, but even Jesus turned over tables and showed his temper when they turned the temple into a market place and gambling hall.

Opinionnation said...

Interesting post

Longstreet said...

Good answer, Frank.

I have always been fond of Jesus' tossing the money changers out of the temple. I have often used it to try and justify my many temper tantrums. It doesn't work, of course, but, I try.

I DO have the tendency to use a sledge hammer to solve situations. Overreaction, I believe it is called. However, I usually end the problem with that sledge hammner, or get the attention, of those involved, drawn to to a, shall we say, more delicate resolution. (Like the time I fired my entire staff and had each one fill out an application for employment, if they wished to keep their jobs. I re-hired all but the troublemaker, on the staff, and that person was GONE. Problem solved.The plus side was two fold. I got rid of the trouble maker and got the attention of those who were re-hired. They understood, from that moment on, that I meant business)

The frustration of trying to negotiate with those who will not negotiate, and are not interested in negotiation, I think, is an appropriate time to bring out that sledge hammer.

Anonymous said...

I respect both of you for your patience on this one..... To Hoosier, I couldn't imagine myself as President..... Quite frankly I don't have nor do I desire the ego that is required for the job. That being said, if i were President I would still be combing Afghanistan until I had Osama. that would remain number one in my book. I would be doing it with such determination and will that I believe the world would see my resolve (hopefully) and assist us in that hunt, and would pray that our resolve would deterr further attacks on us. I would also try a not so one sided aproach to affairs in the middle east and demand both muslim and jew take some copability in the situation... Nothing happens in a vacume. and i am not Anti-semetic, I am also not anti-muslim... I am pro human (or try to be)