Sunday, March 13, 2005

PBS, a Political Dinosaur

PBS, a political dinasaur.

PBS the broadcast voice of America’s political left should be defunded, period.

For many years the Public Broadcasting System has broadcast the left’s message of diversity, multiculturalism, and political correctness to our children. It is time they do it on their own dime, and not the taxpayer’s money.

As a taxpayer, and a retired broadcaster from the private “for profit” media, I cannot tell you how difficult it has been to see the broadcasts on the PBS and know that my hard earned money was going to subsidized that…. “Stuff”.

I don’t mind if PBS stays on the air. Just not with taxpayer funds. I have no problem with them selling advertising like those of us from the capitalist media have to do to survive. I have no problem with the continuance of their “Beg-a-Thons” every year. But, I really want the Congress to stop giving them my money to run programs in direct competition to my own industry and in direct opposition to my own political philosophy.

It has become apparent from the recent attempts by the left to create their own liberal broadcast networks that they simply cannot make it without government assistance. There are too few Americans willing to squander money on the bankrupt ideas of the left.

So, removing the government funding from PBS would be tantamount to putting them off the air. That’s fine by me.

The argument has been made that the existing cable channels such as the History Channel, Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, all cover the same territory as PBS, but… they do it better. The cable channels would immediately snap up the children’s programs, touted so highly by the supporters of PBS.

PBS is a dinosaur, which should be put out of its misery.

Your Obedient Servant,

“Longstreet”

No comments: