Friday, November 17, 2006

Tornado Kills Eleven in NC



Tornado Kills Eleven in NC

Yesterday, my extended neighborhood was slammed by multiple tornadoes. At the moment the death toll is eleven (11) with at least 24 injuries including a number of children. The injured have been scattered to at least four different hospitals in the area. The dead includes one EMS worker, as well.

Shelters were opened yesterday for those who lost their homes but survived. The storm took out brick and mortar homes as well as mobile homes. It destroyed tractor-trailer trucks and private cars killing at least one person inside an automobile, which resembled a crushed beer can.

Local rescue and law enforcement used all the resources they had plus, much from surrounding counties to search and recover the injured and deceased. Helicopters were used to look for bodies, or injured, in nearby wooded areas. 4 wheelers were used to get through the surrounding fields and scattered debris. Cadaver dogs were also used to find the bodies of the dead.

Here in Hurricane Alley we are assaulted on a regular basis by the forces of nature. And we like to think we are used to it. But, we are not. Not when 2-year-old children perish. The community will come back. Of that… there is no doubt.

If I could ask anything of you, my readers, today, it would be only that you offer a prayer for the speedy recovery of the injured and the comforting of those who lost loved ones, and offer a thanks, also, that the storm was no worse than it was.

My neighbors are great people. They will get past this and survive. They always have and they always will.

Thank you, in advance, for your prayers!

Longstreet

3 comments:

cube said...

Here in Florida we are plagued by hurricanes, but at least you can see them coming & get away.

Good luck to you & consider my prayers on their way.

Longstreet said...

On behalf of my neighbors, please accept my thanks!

Anonymous said...

I feel bad that I missed this post, you are in my prayers as well. We had a tornado in '85, in my home town, I was 15 at the time, it was ugly. Good luck and God bless.