Thursday, January 19, 2006

In Memory of Gen. Robert E. Lee on His Birthday



The Post today is dedicated to the memory of one of the greatest Americans to ever live: General Robert Edward Lee, CSA.

Gen. Lee was born January 19th, 1807, at Stratford Hall Plantation, in Westmoreland County, Virginia.

Lee was offered command of the US forces at the beginning of the Civil War, (April 18th, 1861). He refused. Saying he could not raise his sword against Virginia. He later came to command the Army of Northern Virginia, the Confederate States Army.

Beloved of Southerners, then and now, Lee is an icon for all things honorable.

Below are some quotes attributed to the Great Man:

“With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword...”

“So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained.”


“There is no more dangerous experiment than that of undertaking to be one thing before a man's face and another behind his back.”


“You must study to be frank with the world: frankness is the child of honesty and courage. Say just what you mean to do on every occasion, and take it for granted that you mean to do right.”


“What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world.”


“Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.”


“They do not know what they say. If it came to a conflict of arms, the war will last at least four years. Northern politicians will not appreciate the determination and pluck of the South, and Southern politicians do not appreciate the numbers, resources, and patient perseverance of the North. Both sides forget that we are all Americans. I foresee that our country will pass through a terrible ordeal, a necessary expiation, perhaps, for our national sins.”

And finally, in the opinion of this writer, Lee may have saved the United States from becoming a “Balkanized” country with the war between North and South continuing ‘til this day.

About half an hour after signing the Surrender Documents he rode toward his lines. His men saw him and rushed forward to inquire what had transpired. Many shouted to know ”are we surrendered?”.

Reining in Traveler, the General replied: "Men, we have fought the war together, and I have done the best I could for you. You will all be paroled, so return to your homes and become good citizens. My heart is too full to say more." His eyes welled with tears and he choked out: “Goodbye”, and rode away. The next day he issued General Order Number Nine often referred to as “The Last General Order” or “The Last Order”:

GENERAL ORDERS No. 9.
HDQRS. ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,April 10, 1865.

"After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them. But, feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection.

With an increasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous considerations for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell."

R. E. LEE, General.


We humbly remember the "Great Man" today!

Deo Vindice ("God as our Defender,")
From the Great Seal of the Confederacy

“Longstreet”












No comments: