Thursday, April 06, 2006

Do I Wave the Flag too Much? Is That Possible?


A few days ago, I had a lady comment on a post I had written entitled: “The Cost of Freedom”.

The lady proceeded to take me to task for using the word FREEDOM too much. She continued her attack by saying, in so many words, that I wave the flag too much. She went on to instruct me to “think for myself!”

I was amused, and concerned, at the same time.

I responded to her comment thusly:

Madam: I have been thinking for myself since I was a little older than you appear to be... about five, I'd say, judging from the depth of your understanding of Freedom and what the US Flag stands for. Such a narrow definition of freedom, as you expressed here, is inexcusable in an American... save for those who are products of the American Public School system, and University System.

Since you appear to be in DC, may I suggest you take a short drive across the bridge to Arlington. Walk among the white crosses, and Stars of David, on that hallowed ground. Stroll over to the Lee Mansion and the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and listen. Just listen. Stand quietly... and hear the the pain, the suffering and the sacrifice made by the servicemen buried in that hallowed ground. Now... slowly lift your eyes heavenward and rest your vision on the flowing folds of Old Glory as it ruffles and snaps in the breeze which forever brushes softly against the moist cheeks and rouge colored eyelids of the visitors to this sanctified piece of ground, and soothes the souls of the families of the interred servicemen who lie, caressed by the soil, beneath you.

Then madam, then, you can tell me that the word FREEDOM means nothing! That the flag flying so proudly over the burial place of the men who died to ensure your FREEDOM means nothing!

It is your kind of thinking, madam, which ensures that our men and women in uniform will forever be battling the forces of evil, because prattle, such as you spouted above, leads them to believe that the majority of Americans have the callous attitude about Freedom expressed so eloquently in your comment.

Thank you, so very much, for making my case for me, madam.

As you grow in years, may your understanding of America, and what it stands for, mature as well.

Good day!

Longstreet

Back in 1956 S.L. Delove, another old broadcaster, received a note from a listener who said: "Your programs are wonderful - especially the no commercials - but you are waving the Flag too much."

Well, Mr. Delove answered the writer on his program. His answer is now considered a classic of broadcasting. I’d like to share it with you below:


"Can We Wave The Flag Too Much?"

Is it possible to wave the Flag too much? Provided, of course, that you wave it with integrity? Is it possible to study Lincoln or Shakespeare too much? Is it possible to read the Bible too much?
The great, the good, the true are inexhaustible for inspiration, example and strength. I believe that we are not waving our Flag enough, not nearly enough.


It seems to me that we are developing a tendency to be timid or even apologetic about waving the Stars and Stripes. Walk up and down the streets on the 4th of July and count the Flags. It is our nation's birthday, a sacred day in world history, the most important day of America. Why isn't the Flag flying on every rooftop and from every home and building? This complacent attitude is strong evidence of cancerous patriotic decay. The flag is a symbol of our national unity. It is the spirit of undying devotion to our Country. It stands for the best that is in us...for loyalty, character, and faith in democracy.

Isn't our Flag a synonym of the United States of America? Does it not represent a man's greatest, noblest, most sublime dream? Is it not the zenith of achievement, the goal to which generations have aspired?

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe it is time for us...for the mad, rushing Twentieth Century American...to stop for a moment and think. Let us arrest our near reverential admiration of material success and return to the spiritual and ethical values. Let us imbue and rekindle in ourselves and our children the so-called old fashioned way of patriotism, a burning devotion to the principles and ideals upon which our Country was founded.

Should not every home own, and proudly display the Colors on holidays and other such occasions? Isn't the Flag Patrick Henry, Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Nathan Hale, Gettysburg and Valley Forge, Paul Revere, Jackson and other great men and women who have given us our heritage? When you look at the Flag, can't you see The Alamo, Corrigedor, Pearl Harbor, the Monitor and the Merrimac, Wake Island and Korea? Lest we forget, isn't the Flag Flanders Field, Bataan, Iwo Jima, Normandy, Babe Ruth and Davy Crockett? The great events of our past and present are wrapped up in our Flag.

It is a symbol of this blessed nation, a giant in industry, education and commerce. Millions of fertile square miles, wheatlands, coal mines, steel plants. Our great republic, the chosen infant destined to be man's last and remaining hope for suffering humanity, a shining beacon of light, noble and glorious, the haven for the oppressed and persecuted and truly God's gift to mankind.
That's what the Flag means to me. Can we wave it too much? I don't think so.


S.L. DeLove Dec. 30, 1956

I have a decoupage copy of the script of his broadcast on my bedroom wall.

Outside my home, on the left pillar of my front porch, flies the "Stars and Stripes". On the right flies the "Bonnie Blue Flag".

The "Stars and Stripes" flies as a show of my allegiance to this great country. The "Bonnie Blue Flag" flies as a salute to my Confederate ancestors whose bravery and heroism is legendary.


Why must it take the deaths of 3000 Americans, at the hands of terrorists, to prompt Americans to fly their nation’s flag with pride? Why?


With all it’s faults… and they are legion, America is still the greatest nation on the face of the earth, and I thank God, everyday, that he allowed me to be born here.

If that bothers you, well, get over it!

Longstreet

2 comments:

TexasFred said...

Well, I have to say, you handled that MUCH better than I would have...

Kudos...

Anonymous said...

"Waiving the flag" as she meant, at least as I took it was not meant as a disrespect for the country or American Pride. I think she was referring to the way it is done as total exceptance of all that our leaders do. I will refuse, and most intelligent people will agree, to Goose-step along with the leaders of this country simply because they are the leaders. Decent in patriotism in the truest of form, and is very American! Do not confuse it for disloyalty.... ever.