Sunday, October 12, 2008

The McCain Loss




The McCain Loss.
By J. D. Longstreet
***********************

One of the great joys I have had come my way, since I opened this site, is the wonderful people I have met that I otherwise would have completed my life without ever knowing. They have brought me a great deal of pleasure and company as a writer of conservative thought and opinion.

I have had the good fortune to meet people all over the world of like mind. But not just those with whom I agree but those with whom I do not agree. One can learn a lot from another person’s opinion without ever reaching a point of commonality on a subject of discussion. Most of the people I call friends do not agree with my politics nor my brand of religion. That’s fine. What a terribly dull existence it would be without the light and energy of disagreement.

One gentleman, from the northern part off this country I have come to admire and call friend is Alan Caruba. Mr. Caruba is a conservative writer, as am I… though Alan is a much more accomplished writer than I, and his intelligence is, without doubt, far superior to mine. You see, most of the time, I know when I am outclassed.

This is a preamble to something Alan has written that I feel is well worth your time to click on and read. It is an article titled: “At the Core of Election Corruption”. You’ll find it at:

http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/2008/10/at-core-of-election-corruption.html

If, by now, you have read Mr. Caruba’s piece you know why you see his work so often featured here on INSIGHT on Freedom. Only on extremely rare occasions do we actually disagree. Yet, Alan can be counted upon to bring insight into a subject of discussion that I have totally missed. That is an invaluable asset to someone like me who has spent only 30 some odd years writing for public consumption. But, you see, for the bulk of those years I wrote for the ear. Not for the eye. There is a vast difference. As a broadcaster, my voice supplied the inflection, which stood in for punctuation. There is a great difference. The very same words can have different meanings depending upon the way one vocalizes those words. As a commentator on a Web Log (Blog) I have had to learn how to mentally shift gears to deliver a written product that would have the same impact upon my readers as it did upon my listeners. I am still learning, hoping that someday it will become second nature. My fervent hope is that someday I can come close to being the writer that Mr. Caruba already is and has been for many, many, years.

So, It will come, I’m sure, as no surprise, that I highly recommend that you bookmark Alan’s site at
www.factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/ and visit him often for insightful commentary that will light a fire in your imagination and broaden your understanding of the world we live in.

Thank you, Alan, for the terrific work you turn out day after day.




J. D. Longstreet

**************


Filed under:


No comments: