Monday, August 08, 2005

The Humiliation Campaign against the South


Southerners: Don’t Finance the Humiliation Campaign Against the South!

I admit, right up front, that I have not seen the new “Dukes of Hazzard” movie. I also want to assert, again, right up front, that I have no plans to see it, either.

I am a white Southern male, approaching my 65 birthday, and most of my life has been spent in the South (Southern portion of the United Sates.). After traveling and visiting some 22 states, and so many cities I don’t care to remember, I have never found a place, on this continent, which can even approach the South as a place in which to grow up, to live and to raise your family.

I mentioned that I am now, officially, a senior citizen. Having spent the bulk of those years in the two Carolinas. I can attest that I have never seen a Southern family that approaches the slovenly ignorance of the Hazzards… as depicted in the latest movie. A family approximating the movie version would be ostracized and most likely invited to leave any particular county in the South. It is for certain; they would spend a great deal of time, as guests of that county, in the county jail. We Southerners may be “laid-back” but we do not put up with trifling troublemakers resembling the Duke boys. And we do not suffer fools lightly!

So, I can only surmise that once again, we have an onscreen depiction of what Hollywood would like the remainder of the world to think the South looks like, talks like, drives like, and lives like. It’s a lie. It is a fraud perpetrated on the good folks of the South.

Even the members of the cast of the long ago TV show, of the same name, have disavowed it and spoken of their disappointment.

Folks, the movie is a joke, a bad joke, at the expense of the South. As a Southerner I resent the hell out of it.

We Southerners are still made to pay for having lost the war of Northern Aggression. The national humiliation of the South continues… and we, as a people, are fed up.

Here, in the South, there is a seething rage, just beneath the surface, at the ongoing campaign designed to further humiliate us, as a people. Very soon that rage is going to reach a boiling point and spill out with a great deal of anguish for those who so gleefully stirred the pot.

I belong to a Southern organization of men, some 35,000 strong, each with the genes of a Southern Warrior in his genetic make-up. We are not happy.

So, I would ask all Southerners not to pay money to see your heritage slandered by Hollywood. We simply cannot help finance the campaign to continue the humiliation of the South.

Look around you. Look, and listen. Observe, and you will soon see, and understand, the tension between the northern and western sates and the states of the old Confederacy is very nearly as taunt as it was in the late 1850’s. To keep pulling on those bonds, making the tension grow, is only hastening the day there is a breaking point.

In closing allow me to point out this fact: The South views the period from April 1865, to the present, as simply a “time-out”.

We would all do well to remember that.

“Longstreet”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh this is rich, first of all you think you have readers? lmao! I'm the only one whose ever posted a comment! oh the poor southern boy! he feels so put upon. The war of Northern agression? you broke from the union you asshole! are you one of those re-enactment losers? yeah you are. I've been down "there" and it aint nothin to write home about. Do you long for the days of slavery? yeah you do. its over pops